Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, the most popular leader in Brazil, stood out as a worker leader in the 1970s and during his term as brazilian president, his social policies against famine and poverty became internationally known.
After the parliamentary coup, which in 2016 unjustifiably dismissed President Dilma Rousseff, the conservative offensive also takes place by criminalizing national popular leaderships. In continuation of this process, Lula received an absurd arrest warrant in April, after being unjustly convicted in January of this year, in a trial without material evidence and full of legal anomalies.
Lula has been in prison for more than 100 days in an individual cell at the Federal Police headquarters in the city of Curitiba, where he receives affectionately the news about demonstrations occurring in all corners of the world in his solidarity and demanding his immediate freedom.
On August 15, 2018, brazilian organizations and militants struggling for Lula's freedom and his right to be a candidate will mobilize to follow the registration of his presidential candidacy. In previous days, international expressions of solidarity will be fundamental.
We call on the entire international community that defends democracy and human rights - governments, trade unions, social and popular organizations, activists, artists, intellectuals, religious leaders, journalists, politicians, etc. -, to take the streets on 13 AUGUST 2018 to:
- Denounce that Lula is a Political prisoner of the coup in Brazil and claim for Lula's immediate freedom and his right to be candidate to presidency;
- Organize mobilizations in front of Brazilian Embassies and Consulates abroad;
- Deliver Letters and declarations for Lula's Freedom signed by organizations, popular leaders, intellectuals, parliamentarians, etc;
- Provide visibility on social medias through the use of the hashtags: #LulaLivre #FreeLula #LulaLibre;
We ask all the Committees and entities that organize the acts to inform us when and where the acts will take place. And to send us in the same days all the letters, declarations, photos, videos and records of the acts of solidarity to the firstname.lastname@example.org
Our web page has the address: http://comitelulalivre.org/. And you can find us at the biggest social medias through: @freelulabrasil
We will keep fighting until Lula is released!
1. Central Workers Union Confederation – CUT - Brasil
2. Central Brazilian Worker's Confederation – CTB – Brasil
3. Landless Worker's Movement – MST – Brasil
4. ALBA'S Popular Movements Articulation – ALBA Movimientos
5. "Our America" Trade Unions Meeting – ESNA
6. Trade Unions of the Americas - TUCA
Please, send adhesions to the email: email@example.com until August 10, 2018.